Thursday, March 5, 2020 

Published 10 pm

 

Blaze guts Cook St Apartment

Community services assists residents afterward

Staff/Voice photos

 

Firefighters work inside the second floor suite to ensure the fire is completely extinguished. Checks will be done throughout the evening.

 

apartment in the 9400-block of Cook Street went up in flames Friday afternoon displacing residents. This is an example of why it's important to have some kind of home insurance. Fire victims and building evacuees are given three days assistance from Chilliwack Emergency Community Services and then they're on their own.

 

It's also important to have a bugout bag to throw things in on your way out such as; medication, wallets/purses, shoes and anything else that you can grab and go within a couple of minutes and don't use elevators.

 

 

Often people run out in their pajamas and slippers with nothing else to see what's going on and firefighters won't allow them back into the buildings, and in some cases they lose everything.

 

The following is a release from Andrew Brown, Assistant Chief, Training Chilliwack Fire Department.

 

On March 06, 2020, at approximately 3 pm, the Chilliwack Fire Department was dispatched to a reported structure fire located in a three-story apartment complex in the 9400-block of Cook Street.

 


Firefighters responded from Halls 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6, and on arrival, reported seeing heavy black smoke and flames venting from a second-floor apartment engulfing the balcony area and lapping to the third-floor. The building fire alarm had been activated and some residents were evacuating the structure.

Initial arriving crews stretched hose lines to control the fire from the exterior and laddered adjacent balconies to rescue occupants closest to the fire apartment. Crews then set up for an interior attack and quickly brought the fire under control.

Approximately 30 apartment units were impacted by the fire and a school bus from School District 33 was brought to the scene as temporary shelter for displaced occupants. Emergency Social Service were also on-scene to provide additional support for displaced occupants.

 

Chilliwack Emergency Community Services assists building tenants before they were bussed out to hotels later.
 

The apartment of origin suffered major damage, while the apartment building suffered smoke damage. One civilian was treated for smoke inhalation.

There were no firefighter injuries.



This fire is considered accidental at this time, and is under investigation by the Chilliwack Fire Department.