Friday, March 22, 2013
The Tone at the Top
'Governing Effectively' board workshop April 30
Released by Melissa Oren, CCAC
f your board is in trouble, performing below its abilities, or simply not working well, stay calm, help is on the way!
On Tuesday April 30th, 2013 The Chilliwack Community Arts Council is bringing Vince Battistelli, one of BC’s most dynamic and best-known experts on non-profit board governance to Chilliwack for a one-day public workshop.
Vince has conducted his ‘Governing Effectively: Essential Strategies for Boards and Board Directors’ workshop for hundreds of non-profit boards throughout BC.
Non-profit boards frequently suffer from a variety of ills such as a tendency to micro-manage; inability to make decisions; changing focus and direction from one President to the next; agendas that have everything to do with administration and operations and little to do with governing; recruiting and retaining talented board members; struggles with their Executive Director; pursuing personal agendas; and, a host of other issues.
The workshop is designed to help board directors gain a clear understanding of what board governance is really about; clarify the roles and responsibilities of the board and the directors; provide them with the tools they need to do their job efficiently and effectively; and, give them a road map for moving from a board that is underperforming to one that makes them a true and valuable asset to their organization.
Vince will introduce workshop participants to ‘governance Best practices’ that are being used by successful non-profit boards of all sizes throughout North America.
The session uses a balance of small group activity, problem-solving scenarios, the Governance Board Game (developed by Vince), mini presentations, and question and answer opportunities to understand what being an effective board is really all about.
Vince’s dynamic and engaging style provides workshop participants with excellent opportunities to learn in a fun, friendly and fast paced workshop environment and challenges them to stretch their thinking about governance and how it can be improved.
If your board is having trouble doing its job well or you think that your board could use a boost to get it re-vitalized and operating on all eight cylinders then you won’t want to miss this workshop.
Here is what some of the participants in Vince’s governance workshops have to say about their workshop experience:
• Hats off to the United Way in bringing it together, but your presentations, skills, knowledge and way of bringing us all “to the table” was magic. This workshop made it so simple to focus on what we have to deal with and how to avoid the stuff we shouldn’t be dealing with.
R.E. (Bob) Scales
• I have attended several workshops on this subject matter in the recent past and say this is the best of them I have attended. Concise, clear, informative, easy to follow and understand, and well paced. – Workshop participant
• Dear Vince: Thank you for the workshop last week. I got glowing reviews from everyone I talked to. - Don Bonner, President United Way Central & Northern Vancouver Island
• Excellent presentation, well paced, extremely knowledgeable. All boards should take
this course. - Workshop participant
• Thank you Vince for a very inspiring and educational workshop yesterday here in Whistler.
• Vince is very good at keeping the momentum going and involving participants in a constructive and enjoyable way.
• Vince is a very knowledgeable and engaging presenter.
To learn more about the workshop call Rod Hudson at the Chilliwack Community Arts Council 604-392-8888 or Vince Battistelli at The governance Group 604-731-0307.
To register yourself or your board members go to www.governance.ca then click on resources, then Workshops, then the Current Workshops button and follow the directions for registering.
Download the poster here.
Take the step for helping your board become the best non-profit board in the community. Register now!
© Copyright (c) 2013 The Valley Voice