Thursday March 22, 2012
Chilliwack-Hope candidates begin plunking in signage after April 19 election call
Released by the BC Conservative Party
will be held on Thursday, April 19, 2012 to elect Members of the
Legislative Assembly (MLA) for the Chilliwack-Hope and Port
Moody-Coquitlam electoral districts. The seats became vacant when
Port Moody-Coquitlam MLA Iain Black resigned on Monday, October 3,
2011 and Chilliwack-Hope MLA Barry Penner resigned on January 9,
"B.C. voters have tremendous access to voting opportunities that
reflects the diverse needs of today's voter from senior to student,"
said Archer. "If voters aren't sure of where to vote I encourage them to
BY-ELECTION Fast Facts
· Elections BC administers by-elections under the Election Act, R.S.B.C. 1996.
· Under the Constitution Act, a by-election must be called within six months of a seat becoming vacant in the Legislative Assembly, unless the seat is vacant due to the recall of the MLA, in which case a by-election must be called within 90 days.
· The Chief Electoral Officer received the warrants for the by-elections on October 6, 2011(Port Moody-Coquitlam) and January 30, 2012 (Chilliwack-Hope). Keith Archer
· 192 by-elections have been administered in B.C.; seven under the current Act.
· The first by-election occurred on June 22, 1872 in the Cariboo electoral district following the, resignation of MLA Cornelius Booth; three previous by-elections were called in Esquimalt, New Westminster and Cariboo, but no votes were held as the seats were filled by acclamation.
· A by-election involves a single electoral district, although concurrent by-elections may be held, such as:
· There were 32,709 registered voters in the Chilliwack-Hope electoral district as of May 12, 2009 and 33,487 registered voters in the Port Moody-Coquitlam electoral district.
· Voter turnout in the 2009 General Election was 51.85% of registered voters in Chilliwack-Hope and 57.44% of registered voters in Port Moody-Coquitlam.
· The last by-election to be held in B.C. was the May 11, 2011 Vancouver-Point Grey by-election.
© Copyright (c) 2012 The Valley Voice