Wednesday March 21,
Antifreeze Contaminates Nearby
Yarrow service station blaze prompts animal health
Released by Starlee Renton,
City of Chilliwack
a result of the Yarrow structure fire this morning, the City of Chilliwack
has learned that Ethylene Glycol has leaked into nearby 'Sharon Ditch,' a
watercourse located south of Yarrow Central Road.
Ethylene Glycol is commonly known as antifreeze.
The affected area of the watercourse extends from Eckert Street on the east,
to just west of Stewart Road.
Antifreeze is toxic to animals and so property owners on the Sharon Ditch
watercourse are advised to keep their household pets indoors and ensure any
livestock are kept away from the watercourse.
Chilliwack City and Provincial Environment Ministry staff are currently
working to minimize the impact and contain migration of the spilled
Property Owners affected by this advisory can contact 604.793.2810 for
Updates will be provided to local media outlets, on
www.chilliwack.com and at
Copyright (c) 2012 The Valley Voice