Sunday, June 9, 2013

Fire Dept News

Eyes on the Fire  

Passerby alerts firefighters, wood plant inferno avoided

Released by Asst. Fire Chief Ian Josephson/Google image

 

Google Streetview image of the lumberyard where the accidental fire occurred Friday.

 

t 9:30 pm last night (Friday), firefighters from Chilliwack fire halls 1, 4 and 6 responded to the 6300 block of Unsworth Road.

 

Upon arrival, crews found thick black smoke coming from the eaves and open end of an unoccupied, 2-storey industrial building utilized for wood manufacturing.

Firefighters entered the building and found a fire that had consumed a work bench and was spreading to nearby combustibles and the open wood roof. Firefighters quickly suppressed the fire and exhausted the smoke. There was relatively minor fire, smoke and water damage to the building and contents.

Fortunately a passerby had reported seeing smoke coming from this building and alertly called 9-1-1.

There were no firefighter injuries.

Cause of the fire is considered accidental and related to oily rags not being disposed of in a safe manner.

 

Copyright (c) 2013 The Valley Voice