Friday July 21, 2017 

Fire News

Blaze No Laughing Matter

Cigarette ignites outdoor planter

Michael Bourdon, Assistant Chief, Fire Prevention CFD

 

Approximate location of the porch fire Friday.

 

n July 20th, 2017, at approximately 3am, the Chilliwack Fire Department ( CFD ) was dispatched to a reported structure fire located in the 47000-block of Laughington Place.

Firefighters responded from Halls 1 & 4. On arrival fire crews reported seeing light smoke from the rear of a two-storey residential home.

A neighbour next door was alerted by the smell of smoke and went out to investigate.

The neighbour witnessed flames on the rear deck of the home and quickly alerted the occupants who were sleeping at the time.

Resident’s safely evacuated and the neighbour continued to control the fire using water from a garden hose until fire crews arrived on scene. Once on-scene, fire fighters promptly extinguished and overhauled the final stages of the fire.

The home sustained fire damage to a planter on the deck and to a section of rear exterior wall. There was minor smoke damage contained to the attic space only.

There were no civilian and or firefighter injuries.

The cause of the fire is accidental.

The CFD would like to take this opportunity to remind homeowner’s when extinguishing smoking materials, do not discard cigarettes in dry vegetation such as bark mulch, landscaping, peat moss, grasses, leaves or other items that could ignite quickly especially at this time of the season.

Editor's Note: There was a firefighter, who's gone now, but he'd go around talking to apartment residents about what he called "plastic flowers."

"Plastic Flowers", he would describe are cigarette butts stubbed out in planter pots and sit there smoldering for awhile before igniting and traveling up the vinyl siding.

 


© 2008-2017 The Valley Voice News | All Rights Reserved