Thursday, January 24, 2013
BC Gov't contributes to bicycle lane
Released by the BC Gov't
B.C. government is providing $26,323 in funding to support Boundary
Road Shoulder Bike Way project in Chilliwack. There will be an 800
metre bike lane on the east side of the road from Yarrow Central
Road to No. 3 Road.
complements the existing bikeway on the west side of the road,
encouraging cyclists to ride on the correct side of the road.
“This funding will both
promote and increase healthy living in our community. This project
is a positive investment toward improving health,” said Chilliwack
MLA John Les in a Wednesday release.
Why this matters:
• Cycling is a key
component of the B.C. government’s strategy for encouraging
healthy living and addressing climate change, in conjunction
with the Climate Action Plan and the Provincial Transit Plan.
• Across British Columbia 20 communities will share more than
$7.36 million in BikeBC funding.
• This funding will go towards 21 projects to expand and build
cycling lanes, trails, and paths, increasing physical activity
and helping reduce greenhouse gases.
• This year’s projects range from a new cycling track, new bike
lanes, and intersection improvements.
• BikeBC is a cost-sharing program between the Government of
B.C. and local governments.
• This year’s investment will help create more than $14.5
million in cycling infrastructure.
Copyright (c) 2013 The Valley Voice