Friday, January 11, 2013

 

Fire Dept news

Kitchens Seared

Improper disposal of cigarette likely cause of one fire says Chief

Staff/Voice photos

 

One person is wearing an oxygen mask and another coughs while a Chilliwack firefighter speaks with someone else evacuated and suffering from smoke inhalation Thursday on Edwards Street.

 

he owner of a mobile home in the 6000 block of Vedder Rd. actually had a home to come back to Thursday and can thank the City of Chilliwack firefighters for stopping a fire from spreading any further, and saving their home.

The blaze was one of two that kept fire crews busy throughout the day.

In a Friday release, Assistant Fire Chief Ian Josephson said the mobile home owner wasn't home at 8 A.M. when the fire broke.

"Damage was limited to the kitchen area, with extensive smoke damage to the rest of the trailer," he said.

When firefighters arrived they weren't sure if home was occupied and did an immediate search of the residence. Once it was established the home was devoid of people and pets, they were able to knock back the fire and contain it to the kitchen.

Cause of the fire is considered to be accidental.

The second fire erupted shortly after noon at a three-storey apartment in the 8900 block of Edwards St.

When firefighters arrived, they found the building venting thick black smoke from the ground floor and followed that to a fire in one unit's kitchen.

The senior residents evacuated safely, however some received smoke inhalation and four people ended up being taken to hospital. There were no injuries to firefighters in either fire.

"Four elderly residents were treated for smoke inhalation by BC Ambulance paramedics and transported to Chilliwack General Hospital," said Josephson in the same release.

"There is extensive fire damage to the kitchen area with considerable smoke damage to the remainder of the one suite and hallway," he said.

Although the cause of the fire is considered accidental, it may be related to cigarettes being discarded in a plastic bucket.

Josephson cautions people to be careful with cigarettes.

The Chilliwack Fire Department would like to remind the public to:

Always extinguish smoking materials in deep, non-combustible ashtrays.

Make sure cigarette butts are wet before you put them in a garbage container.

 

See more photos below.

 

 

Copyright (c) 2013 The Valley Voice