Thursday, January 24, 2013

 

Fire Dept News

Plastic Flowers Again

Fire Chief reminds smokers to use caution when discarding cigarettes

Released by Asst. Chief Jeff Ullyot, Chilliwack FD

 

A firefighter carries an axe up to the fourth floor on Bole Ave. last weekend.

 

he City of Chilliwack Fire Department attended to a structure fire on the fourth floor of an apartment building balcony on Sunday January 20, 2013 at approximately 2230 hours.

The fire originated in a potted plant after the resident had butted out a cigarette into the container about an hour earlier. 

Damage to the exterior of the building was limited to the vinyl siding. The resident manager put out the fire using a portable fire extinguisher. There were no civilian or firefighter injuries.

This is another incident in a long list of similar type fires within the City of Chilliwack in the past few years. Residents are reminded to properly dispose of smoking materials, preferably in an ashtray or metal type container. 

Potted plants contain products such as peat moss which can be very dry and a smoldering cigarette will eventually ignite the materials and can subsequently start a more serious building fire.

Recent losses in Garrison Crossing and Watson Glen this past year are clear evidence as to the devastation an improperly discarded cigarette can cause.

 

Copyright (c) 2013 The Valley Voice