Wednesday, January 23, 2013
All in a Day's Walk
Walk for Memories Jan 27 agenda released
Released by Gail Johnson, ASBC/Voice file photo
Dorothy Kostrzewa and piper Evans Palmer along with RCMP at last years's Walk.
re you planning on going to the Walk on Sunday? Here's your agenda.
Fraser Valley Walk for Memories
DAY OF AGENDA
09:15 Building open ‑ Set‑up ‑volunteers arrive ‑ brief welcome
12:00 Registration volunteers meet for orientation
Pizza lunch for volunteers ‑ Music starts
12:30 All registration volunteers ‑ greeters in place
1:00 Registration begins
2:00 Ana Macedo ‑ Welcomes everyone
Thanks to our sponsors:
Investor’s Group ‑ Summerland Health Auxiliary - Safeway ‑ Cowell Auto Group ‑ Salmon’s Rental Ltd. ‑ Global TV ‑ Vancouver Sun ‑ Immediate Images - CKNW ‑ Chilliwack Progress – 89.5 The Hawk
Special thanks to all our donors. Tim Hortons who is supplying us with our coffee today ‑ Chilliwack School District 33 secondary student volunteers ‑our volunteer steering committee ‑ our event day volunteers - Royal Bank volunteers and to each of our participants who help make this such a successful event.
2:02 Ana introduces MLA Gwen O’Mahony to say a few words.
2:08 Ana introduces Jillian Armit Alzheimer Society of B.C. Fraser Valley Support and Education.
Jillian thanks volunteer steering committee.
Thanks to all participants at the walk, which raises funds to support the great work that local society does in the community, providing support and education about Alzheimer disease and other dementias.
2:15 Ana introduces Mrs. Vi Hoyt our honoree, her husband Ted and family. Ted speaks on behalf of Hoyt family.
Ana introduces Mayor Sharon Gaetz who thanks the Hoyt family and presents them with flowers and asks them to proceed to the start line where they will lead the walk following the warm‑up.
2:18 Mayor sings O’Canada with Constable Kevin Young saluting.
2:20 Warm ‑Up!
2:25 Ana Announces that the Walk begins with Hoyt family in place at the start line at Investors Group tent.
Piper Evans Palmer leads honoree family on first lap of Walk
Don’t forget to check out the gift baskets and buy a ticket.
2:30 “Johnny Cash” performance by Darrel Weyman.
Investors Group Walk for Memories Speaking Notes
· The 2012 Investors Group Walk for Memories is taking place in 24 communities around the province today as part of national Alzheimer Awareness Month.
· Currently, more than 70,000 people in B.C. are living with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias, and 10,000 of them are under the age of 65.
· Startling data released by the Alzheimer Society shows that if nothing changes, the prevalence of dementia in B.C. could more than double in the next 30 years.
· Recent findings from surveys conducted nationally and in B.C. indicate that low awareness of the early signs of Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias is causing a delay in diagnosis and subsequent treatment gap for people with the illness.
· More needs to be done to ensure families impacted by this devastating disease are getting help and to fund research to find a cure.
· The time to act is now and everyone has a role in turning the tide of dementia.
· By taking part in today's Walk, you're making a real difference in the fight against Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias. Last year, we raised more than $650,000 dollars province wide – a total we hope to beat this year!
· Funds raised ensure people in our community who are living with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias can connect to a province-wide network of information, services and support.
· Money raised also funds vital research, literally bringing us a few steps closer in the search for the causes of, and the cure for dementia.
3:30 Theme laps: 3 theme laps during the Walk: Schotiche Lap (1,2,3, hop), Limbo lap, and Australian lap (tie me kangaroo down)
3:15 Gift Basket ticket draw.
4:00 Ana announces the great news on money raised. Watch for final total coming up in The Progress, etc
Ana asks everyone to check to see if they have won a door prize before they leave. Posted at the Prize Table
Wrap‑ Up Thank you to all sponsors including :
Investor’s Group ‑ Summerland Health Auxiliary - Safeway ‑ Cowell Auto Group ‑ Salmon’s Rental Ltd. ‑ Global TV ‑ Vancouver Sun ‑ Immediate Images - CKNW ‑ Chilliwack Progress - Star FM
© Copyright (c) 2013 The Valley Voice
Thanks to all our donors, volunteers and participants who helped make this a huge success! See you next year January 26, 2014!