Monday January 30, 2012

Fire Dept News

Fireplace and Stove Issues

CFD says servicing wood burning appliances essential

Released by Ian Josephson, Chilliwack Fire Department

 

City firefighters respond to a call to a Moody Ave. home Saturday where residents had trouble with a fireplace.

 

t 2:20am Sunday morning, firefighters from Chilliwack Fire Halls 1, 3 and 4 responded to a reported structure fire in the 4900 block of Cultus Lake Road. Upon arrival, crews found the homeowner on the roof of his manufactured home fighting a fire with a garden hose.

Apparently a fire had started in the wood burning appliance and had travelled up the vent area into the roof igniting the wood and roof materials.

Four people were home at the time of the fire and safely evacuated after being alerted by one of their working smoke alarms.

Firefighters extinguished a small fire in the roof space. There were no firefighter injuries.

Cause of the fire is accidental and related to the wood burning appliance.

The Chilliwack Fire department would like to remind the public that use wood burning appliances to have them cleaned and serviced regularly.

For more information on stove and fireplace safety, visit: www.chilliwack.com

 

Copyright (c) 2011 The Valley Voice