Home    Dec News    Horoscopes     Crime    Fishing Report    Links    About

 

 

 

 

 

  Monday, Feb 19 2018 

Fire News

Sometimes Where There's Smokers There's Fires

Improperly stubbed butts spread to "Plastic Flowers" and up balcony walls

By Andrew Brown, Asst Chief

 

Chilliwack Fire Department deals with a smoker cause balcony fire in the 46000-block of Princess Ave. on Sunday.

 

n February 18, 2018, at approximately 10:30am the Chilliwack Fire Department was dispatched to a reported structure fire located in an apartment complex in the 46000-block of Princess Ave. Occupants saw flames lapping up the exterior of the building from a ground floor balcony and called the fire department.

Firefighters responded from Halls 1, 4, and 6, and on arrival, reported seeing heavy black smoke and flames venting from the balcony of a main floor apartment.

 

Occupants were home at the time of the fire and closed the balcony door to the suite, activated the building fire alarm system, and evacuated the building. Fire crews setup an offensive attack and quickly brought the fire under control.

The apartment involved suffered extensive damage to the exterior of the structure. Closing the balcony door to the suite was instrumental in preventing fire from spreading to the interior of the structure. There were no civilian or firefighter injuries.

This fire appears to be accidental and caused by discarded smoking materials.

Chilliwack Fire Dept. wants to remind the public to ensure smoking materials are fully extinguished in an approved container.

 


2008-2018 The Valley Voice News | All Rights Reserved