Sunday, December 16, 2012

Fire News

Cooking Caution

Kitchen fire sends senior to hospital

Released by Asst. Fire Chief Ian Josephson, City of Chilliwack FD/Voice photos

 

Firefighters mop up after a fire on Cleveland Ave. Friday.

 

n Friday, December 14, 2012 at 6:27pm, firefighters from fire halls 1 and 4 responded to a structure fire in the 46000 block of Cleveland Avenue.

Upon arrival, fire crews found smoke coming from a 2 storey multi-family residential building. Fire crews determined the fire originated in one of the lower unit’s kitchen. They accessed the unit, suppressed the fire and confirmed it had not extended into the adjacent units.

There is extensive fire and smoke damage to the one unit with light smoke damage to the rest of the building.

All tenants had safely evacuated except for one tenant who was assisted by firefighters.

The building’s fire alarm system was activated and alerted residents of the fire emergency.

BC Ambulance paramedics attended and treated a number of tenants on site for smoke inhalation. One tenant was transported to CGH for further treatment.

Emergency Social Services attended and assisted with emergency accommodation for 3 persons who resided in the fire unit.

Fire cause is considered accidental. A tenant was trying to heat up a pot of oil on his stove to make french fries, left the room and came back to find the oil had ignited. Efforts to extinguish the fire with a blanket and portable fire extinguishers had minimal effect.

Chilliwack Fire Department would like to remind residents to be cautious when cooking with oil and remain in the kitchen until you’ve finished cooking, especially when your stove’s elements are on ‘high’.

 

© Copyright (c) 2012 The Valley Voice