Monday August 28, 2017

Crine News

Killer Sentenced

IHIT says Fabas will spend a total of 7 years in prison 

By Cpl Meghan Foster/Voice file photo


A woman buckled over in grief is comforted by friends minutes after the killing happened. Below, an armed cop keeps watch over the scene last April.


n April 18, 2016, the Chilliwack RCMP and the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team entered into a homicide investigation after 33-year-old, Dave Williams was shot in the 46000-block of Princess Avenue. The investigation unfolded quickly and 35-year-old Daniel Joseph Fabas was identified as a suspect, and as an associate of Mr. Williams. On April 29, 2016 Mr. Fabas was arrested in connection to Mr. Williams’ death, and for offences.


On April 29, 2016 Mr. Fabas was arrested in connection to Mr. Williams’ death, and for offences related to firearms possession. At that time, Mr. Fabas was not charged with any homicide related offences in the death of Mr. Williams, but investigators continued to diligently pursue leads.


On August 16, 2016 investigators met the threshold of charge approval with sufficient evidence, and Mr. Fabas was charged with homicide related charges in the death of Mr. Williams. 


On May 1, 2017, Mr. Fabas plead guilty to the manslaughter of Mr. Williams in Chilliwack Provincial Court.


On August 28, 2017, Madam Justice Holmes sentenced Mr. Fabas and imposed a six year prison sentence for the manslaughter of Mr. Williams, and a one year prison sentence for the firearms offence he was initially arrested for. This one year prison sentence is to be served consecutively. Mr. Fabas remained in custody from the time of his arrest until the end the court process.


Police tape off Princess Ave. following the shooting.


“While arrests are positive steps in homicide investigations there always remains much work to be done to secure charge approval, and this case is a good example of that.” Cpl. Meghan Foster of IHIT says, “This outcome could not have been achieved without the hard work of investigators from the Chilliwack RCMP and IHIT, Crown Counsel, and the great assistance received from the public who played a key role in the evidence collection process.”


© 2008-2017 The Valley Voice News | All Rights Reserved