Thursday, August 2, 2012
Water safety and Fraser culture focus of family event
Submitted by Rachel Drennan for the FVRD
ou’re invited to the First Annual “Celebration of Safety and Culture on the Fraser River" on Saturday August 11, 2012 from 10 AM – 3 PM at Island 22 Regional Park in Chilliwack.
The family event is intended to promote safe river practices and highlight the many groups who use and are connected to the Fraser River and is hosted by the Fraser Valley Regional District in cooperation with the Fraser River Peacemakers and Fraser Valley First Nations' organizations.
Come and take part in the “Learn to Fish” program, watch a live Search and Rescue safety demonstration, and sample traditionally barbecued salmon while learning about safety and culture on the spectacular Fraser River!
The event will feature displays, activities and demonstrations from groups which include:
• Freshwater Fisheries Society (Learn to Fish)
• Experience the Fraser
• Fraser Valley First Natons' organizations
• Fraser River Salmon Table
• Seabird Island Youth Crew
• Harrison Yacht Club
• Fraser Valley Salmon Society
• Transport Canada
• Chilliwack Search and Rescue
• Bear Aware
• B.C. Federation of Drift Fishers
• Department of Fisheries and Oceans
• Chilliwack River Cleanup
• Christopher Vang Memorial Fund
• Fraser Valley Invasive Plant Council
Please mark this event on your calendar to make sure that you don’t miss this great opportunity to learn more about safety and culture on the Fraser River.
Free admission & no gate fees on event day. Food and drinks will be available. If you have any questions regarding this event, please email Parks here.
© Copyright (c) 2012 The Valley Voice