Wednesday, Nov 16, 2016 

Fire News

CFD Thanks Motel Staff

Quick response contains blaze to a single unit

Mike Bourdon, Assistant Chief, Fire Prevention, Chilliwack Fire Department

 

n November 16th, 2016 at approximately 10am the Chilliwack Fire Department was dispatched to a reported structure fire located at a local motel in the 45000-block of Yale Rd.

 

On arrival, fire crews were met by staff who alerted firefighters that they had found a small fire contained to a first floor unit.

 

Staff fought the fire with fire extinguishers but were overcome by smoke and did the right thing by evacuating this two-storey motel building.

 

Firefighters responded from Halls 1 and 4. Fire crews quickly extinguished what was left of the fire, minimizing fire damage to the unit involved.

 

It should be noted that staff did a tremendous job by following fire safety procedures, which included activating the fire alarm system, and coordinating a safe evacuation of all occupants within the building.

 

There were no civilian or firefighter injuries. The cause of the fire is accidental.

 

2008-2016 The Valley Voice News | All Rights Reserved