Homemade is Best Made
How to live a longer, healthier and more tastier life
omething not very healthy causes weight gain.
Glucose fructose is added to almost all baked, packaged and tinned “foods”. Tinned soups are junk. Make your own in five-ten minutes from red lentils, and three of any kinds of fresh herbs or vegetables. Wonderful variety and taste is the result. You can cook some ground beef and freeze it in tiny plastic dishes. A teaspoon full can be added to a soup.
• Fast food and snacks are junk food.
• Fruit juices and pop are junk food even if no sugar is added.
• GMO “foods” are not nutritious. Labels do not mention that genetically modified/engineered “foods” are added to almost everything. I was shocked to find Papayas on the list now. I love the largest size, because they are not tasty until they are fully grown, which is foot ball size.
• ¾ of the population have become overweight in the past 5 or 10 years.
• Taking tranquilizers and other meds slows us down, so that even when we walk or do exercises we are slower than in the past. Gaining weight from them is not inevitable. It is important to watch what we eat and increase exercise.
GMO Foods List: Top 10 Worst Foods
• Corn. One of the most prominent GMO foods, avoiding corn is a no-brainer.
• Soy. Found in tofu, vegetarian products, soybean oil, soy flour, and numerous other products, soy is also modified to resist herbicides.
• Butter and olive oil are the best fats. Low fat diet is no longer recommended. Just eat moderate amounts. Coconut and palm oil are good but not better, and they are expensive. Also rain forests are being cut down to grow palm trees to produce oil for this new fad.
• Saturated fats are not harmful in moderate amounts.
• Hydrogenated vegetable oils are artificially saturated. This destroys the oil so that it cannot be used to heal and repair the cells of our body. The fat that is not metabolized immediately is stored around our waist. Read peanut butter labels. If the oil is hydrogenated don’t buy it.
• If a package of cookies says it contains vegetable oil, it is probably hydrogenated. Don’t buy them. Make your own cookies from olive oil or butter, whole wheat flour, 1/4 or 1/2 cup sugar, an egg or two, nuts, raisins or cranberries, and add oatmeal if you like. Add a tablespoon of black strap molasses for a lot of minerals, vitamins and flavor. Add spices too if desired, or finely cut mandarin or orange skins.
• We are all deficient of Omega 3 because it deteriorates from heat, even at room temperature. I buy a bottle of flax oil from a frig and keep it in my frig. A small tablespoonful on any salad, vegetables or baked potato tastes great. A tsp of good quality fish oil daily is important too.
• I also buy flax seeds from bulk and grind them in a coffee grinder and store them in my freezer or fridge. Don’t buy them already ground because at room temperature they deteriorate. I sprinkle a spoonful on cereals, just before eating breakfast. We need the fibre and the B vitamins. Don’t buy cereals that contain soy or more the 4 gm sugar per serving. Add fresh fruit. I freeze enough blueberries, raspberries, rhubarb, strawberries and prune plums to last all winter. A large deep freezer soon pays for itself.
People ask me why at 97 on June 5 I’ll be 97, yet look younger. Good nutrition, and also Silica capsules. I prefer the variety made from bamboo. Silica is sand and in the body is gelatine that creates our cartilage, tendons, mucous membranes everywhere, hair, nails and skin. What’s more it toughens our bones. Without it the calcium crumbles when we fall.
© 2008-2018 The Valley Voice News | All Rights Reserved