Monday, March 30, 2015

Fire Dept News

Careless Cooking

Resident burned in early morning Kitchen fire  

By Released by Chief Ian Josephson

 

t approximately 1:00 a.m. this morning, firefighters from halls 1 & 4 responded to a reported structure fire in the 9700-block of Carleton Street.

 

Upon arrival, fire crews found light smoke inside a one-storey residential house.

 

Firefighters discovered an adult male had left an unattended pot of oil on the stove which ignited and spread to the microwave.

 

When the occupant returned he had tried to extinguish the fire and remove the flaming pot of oil to the outside. Unfortunately he suffered 1st degree burns to his face and both hands. He refused treatment by B.C. Ambulance paramedics.

 

Fire and smoke damage is limited to the kitchen area of the home.

 

There were no firefighter injuries.

 

Cause of the fire is accidental and related to an unattended pot of oil left on the stove.

 

The Chilliwack Fire Department would like to remind residents not to leave the kitchen when using the stovetop. Also, if there is fire in a pot, do not try to remove it, place a lid over the pot and turn off the element.

 

 

Copyright (c) 2009-2015 The Valley Voice