Feature Story                                                                                       Wednesday, March 11, 2015

 

Smoke Alarm Saves Life

Chimney fire prompts pointers from fire department to residents using wood-burning appliances

Release by Asst. Chief M. Bourdon, Chilliwack Fire Department

 

A Vicars St. resident watches as his home burns Saturday. Below, a neighbour helps fight the fire until crews arrived on the scene.

 

n March 7th, at approximately 9:30 p.m. the Chilliwack Fire Department was dispatched to a reported structure fire located in the 8700-block of Vicars Street.

 

Firefighters responded from Halls 1 & 4. On arrival, fire crews reported seeing flames from the roof area of a 2-storey residential home. Once on-scene, fire fighters promptly extinguished the fire.

 

The home sustained fire damage to the roof structure. The occupant, who was home at the time of the fire, awoke to the smell of smoke after being alerted by a working smoke alarm.

 

There were no civilian or firefighter injuries.

The cause of the fire is considered accidental.

The Chilliwack Fire Department would like to take this opportunity to remind homeowner’s to use good quality dry seasoned firewood, follow the manufacturer’s instructions on the use of a wood burning appliance, and have your chimney inspected and cleaned annually (preferably before the start of the burning season) by a certified professional.

See more photos below.