Monday, March 24, 2014

Fire News

Smoking Pot Causes Trouble  

Newmark Apts evacuated over cooking fire

Staff/Voice photos

 

Chilliwack firefighters use their ladder truck to enter suite instead of breaking down the door at the Newmark Apts. Sunday.

 

fourth floor tenant at the Newmark Apartments on Bole Ave. forgot they had something cooking on the stove and left the building Sunday. Around 2:30 p.m., the building alarm went off and smoke was noticed in the hallway.

 

Rather than smash the nice door in, firefighters brought Ladder Truck #1 around back gained access to the suite off of the balcony. Smoke billowed out once the door was opened and a firefighter used a handheld extinguisher to deal with the stovetop blaze.

 

One of the managers told the Voice a few months ago it was crazy at the Newmark. On Sunday, she reiterated that.

 

"Whew, this place is nuts," she said.

 

One man who moved from Alberta with his wife to start a new life with their baby, said he couldn't wait to get out of there.

 

"We put an offer on a home and we can't wait to move. It's crazy here. My truck was recently broken into while in the underground parking and damaged to the tune of $5000," he said.

 

A few months ago, the Voice reported that several vehicles had their gas tanks punched.

 

See more photos below.

 

 

Copyright (c) 2009-2014 The Valley Voice

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Please be safe and never leave an unattended pot on the stove.