Thursday June 29, 2017 

 

Fire News

In the Nick of Time

Crews caught blaze before it tore into the home

Andrew Brown, Assistant Chief, Training

 

n June 26, 2017 at approximately 11:30am the Chilliwack Fire Department was dispatched to a reported structure fire located in the 11000 -block of Carey Rd. Occupants were alerted to the fire by an activated home smoke alarm.

Firefighters responded from Halls 1, 2, and 4, and on-arrival, reported seeing light smoke venting from a basement window. Occupants had evacuated the home and had initiated fire control from the exterior of the structure. Fire crews setup an offensive attack and quickly brought the fire under control.

The home suffered minor fire and smoke damage to the interior of the structure.

There were no civilian or firefighter injuries.

This fire appears to be accidental and caused by a lithium-ion battery charging station.

Chilliwack Fire Dept. wants to remind the public:

  To carefully read and follow all manufactures instructions when using any electrical devices

  That working smoke alarms provide an early warning of a fire, giving people additional escape time.

  Test your smoke alarms at least once a month. Press the test button to be sure the alarm is working.

 


2008-2017 The Valley Voice News | All Rights Reserved