Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Fire News

Big Bang Theory

Explosion wakes sleepy neighbourhood

Staff/Voice photos

 

A paramedic leads a resident of the Macnaught home to led to a waiting ambulance early Tuesday.

 

esidents of a two-storey home in the 9000-block of McNaught Rd. were lucky to escape serious injury early Tuesday after being jarred awake by an explosion.

 

According to a neighbour across the street, there was a boom around 2:30 a.m., which startled her.

 

"It was loud. I heard this big bang and came running out to see what was going on," she told The Voice.

 

She said one of the male residents was a woodworker and always building and making things.

 

Reports were the blast caused an ensuing fire in an upstairs bedroom on the backside of the two-story bungalow. When crews arrived, a resident was fighting back the flames with a garden hose.

 

Mike Bourdon, Assistant Chief, Fire Prevention, confirmed in a release Friday that a combustible was involved and that the fire was accidental in nature, however the investigation is on-going.

 

“Chilliwack Fire Department would like to remind residents to make sure ignition sources are kept at least 1m or 3 feet away from all combustibles,” cautioned Bourdon.

 

Both a man and a woman were treated at the scene before being taken to Chilliwack General Hospital for further observation by paramedics.

 

See more photos below.

 

© Copyright (c) 2009-2015 The Valley Voice