Canyon MP, Mark Strahl today highlighted proposed new measures contained
in the Anti-terrorism Act, 2015 that will provide law enforcement
agencies with additional tools and flexibility to keep pace with
evolving threats and better protect Canadians here at home.
violence and terror being made against our country are taken very
seriously by our Conservative Government. These new anti-terror measures
will give our security forces the means to stop those who threaten us
while protecting the constitutional rights of law-abiding Canadians,"
The measures announced today include:
• Stopping those who promote terror by creating a new Criminal Code
offence that will criminalize the promotion of terrorist attacks on
• Interfering with terrorist recruitment by giving our courts the
authority to order the removal of terrorist propaganda online;
• Providing CSIS with the ability, under judicial authority, to
intervene to prevent specific terror plots while they are still in the
planning stages ;
• Providing law enforcement agencies with enhanced ability to detect and
prevent terrorism offences and terrorist activity;
• Preventing terrorists from travelling by enabling the sharing of
relevant information across federal departments and agencies while also
strengthening the Passenger Protect Program.
• Making it easier for law enforcement agencies to detain suspected
terrorists before they can harm Canadians and toughening penalties for
violating court ordered conditions on terror suspects;
• Enabling the sharing of relevant information across federal
departments and agencies;
• Ensuring national security agencies are able to prevent foreigners who
pose a threat to Canada from obtaining Canadian citizenship, or from
coming to Canada;
• Providing witnesses with additional protection in national security
proceedings and prosecutions.
The proposed legislation complements other previously passed legislation
to protect Canadians, including the Combating Terrorism Act and the
Strengthening Canadian Citizenship Act.
Copyright (c) 2009-2015 The Valley Voice