Saturday, January 3, 2015

Fire Dept News

Ashy Problem

Blaze sparks reminder from CFD about fireplaces

Released by Asst Fire Chief Michael Bourdon, CFD

 

A firefighter deals with a chimney issue on Hazel St. last year.

 

n January 3rd 2015, at approximately 13:45 p.m., the Chilliwack Fire Department was dispatched to a reported structure fire located in the 51000-block of Ferry Rd.

 

Firefighters responded from Halls 1, 2 & 4.On arrival fire crews reported seeing light smoke from the rear of a 1 story residential home.

A neighbour passing by the residence was alerted on the road by the occupant of the home and using a dry chemical fire extinguisher helped control the fire until fire crews arrived on scene. Once on scene, fire fighters promptly extinguished the fire.

The home sustained minor fire damage to a section of the interior wall at the back of the home and smoke damage was contained to one room. The occupant home at the time of the fire, sustained minor smoke inhalation and was taken to hospital for precautionary measures. There were no firefighter injuries.

The cause of the fire is accidental.

"The Chilliwack Fire Department would like to take this opportunity to remind homeowner’s when cleaning wood burning fireplaces and or appliances, hot ash is to be disposed of in a metal container and store the container outside the home away from combustibles," said Assistant Fire Chief Michael Bourdon.

"It is also recommended to use good quality dry seasoned firewood and have your chimney inspected and cleaned annually (preferably before the start of the burning season) by a certified professional."
 

© Copyright (c) 2009-2015 The Valley Voice