Saturday, February 28, 2015
Hazel Dryer Fire
These types of fires are more common than you think
Fire Engine 4 was able to provide a speedy response Friday to a fire in a dryer.
dryer malfunctioned at a condo in the 9400-block of Hazel St. Friday and caught fire and in a short time began to creep into the wall.
However, fire crews were quick to respond and made short work of it. The residence was evacuated and no one was injured.
RCMP were also on the scene to assist and Firefighters vented the building afterward.
According to the National Fire Prevention Association, Dryers and washing machines were involved in one out of every 22 home structure fires reported to U.S. fire departments in 2006-2010.
In 2010, an estimated 16,800 reported U.S. non-confined or confined home structure fires involving clothes dryers or washing machines resulted in 51 civilian deaths, 380 civilian injuries and $236 million in direct property damage. Clothes dryers accounted for 92% of the fires; washing machines 4%, and washer and dryer combinations accounted for 4%.
The leading cause of home clothes dryer and washer fires was failure to clean (32%), followed by unclassified mechanical failure or malfunction (22%). Eight percent were caused by some type of electrical failure or malfunction.
Doing laundry is most likely part of your every day routine. But did you know how important taking care of your clothes dryer is to the safety of your home? With a few simple safety tips you can help prevent a clothes dryer fire.
Here are some tips to keep
© Copyright (c) 2009-2015 The Valley Voice