Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Fire Dept News

Night of Two Fires

Grow show may have caused early morning blaze

Released by CFD Chief Ian Josephson/Google image

 

A barn on Sumas Prairie was leveled in a fire overnight Monday.

 

t 12:43 a.m. Monday morning, firefighters from Chilliwack fire halls 1, 3, 4 and 6 responded to a barn fire in the 5900-block of Sumas Prairie Road. When firefighters arrived they found a number of connected barns fully involved with the fire extending to an adjacent house.

 

The barns were completely destroyed with some fire damage to the home’s exterior siding. The barn was being used as a legal grow operation. There were no civilian or firefighter injuries. Preliminary cause of the fire is considered accidental and may be related to the grow operation.

 

Agricultural Building Fire

 

At 3:01 a.m. Monday morning, an alert security person at the Legacy Pacific site reported sparks and smoke coming from a building in the 44000-block of Simpson Road.

 

When firefighters from Chilliwack fire halls 1, 2,4 and 5 arrived, they discovered a fully involved cover-all type structure with agricultural products stored inside. The fire was also extending into the adjacent agricultural manufacturing building.

 

Fire crews managed to knock the fire down and prevent any further fire extension. The business was not in operation at the time of the fire.

 

The cover-all structure and stored products were completely destroyed with relatively minor fire and smoke damage to the manufacturing building.

 

There were no civilian or firefighter injuries. Cause of the fire is considered accidental and is related to the spontaneous combustion of the stored agricultural products.

 

 

© Copyright (c) 2009-2014 The Valley Voice