Tuesday, Sept 26, 2017 

Fire News

Townhouse Oil Fire

CFD caution not to leave cooking unattended
By Andrew Brown, Asst Chief

 

 

n Monday, September 25, at approximately 8pm, the Chilliwack Fire Department was dispatched to a reported structure fire located in a townhouse complex in the 5600-block of Vedder Rd.

 

Neighbours saw black smoke and fire venting from the roof of the townhouse and called the fire department.

 

Firefighters responded from Halls 1, 3, 4, and 6, and on-arrival, reported flames and heavy black smoke venting from the roof of the two story townhouse.

 

Occupants were home at the time of the fire and quickly evacuated the building when they noticed the fire. Fire crews setup an aggressive offensive attack and quickly brought the fire under control, minimizing the damage to adjacent units.

 

The townhouse of fire origin suffered major fire and smoke damage to the interior and exterior of the structure.

 

There were no civilian or firefighter injuries.

 

This fire appears to be accidental and caused by unattended cooking oil.

 

Chilliwack Fire Dept. wants to remind the public to never leave cooking unattended and that smoke alarms save lives.

 


2008-2017 The Valley Voice News | All Rights Reserved