Feature Story                                                                                       Monday, September 30, 2013

                     

Blaze Blamed on Space Heater

Merritt Drive home nearly destroyed

Released by City of Chilliwack Fire Department Chief Ian Josephson/Voice photos

 

Damage was contained to an upper floor bedroom after a fire in Merritt Dr. residence on Sunday thanks to a speedy response from Chilliwack firefighters. Below, a resident is treated by paramedics on the scene.

 

t 10:30 p.m. Sunday, firefighters from fire halls 1 and 4, responded to a structure fire in the 9900 block of Merritt Drive.

 

Upon arrival, fire crews found thick smoke and fire showing from a second floor bedroom window in a two-storey single-family residential house.

 

Firefighters entered the home and quickly suppressed the fire.

 

There was extensive fire and smoke damage to the second floor bedroom with smoke damage to the remainder of the house.

 

Prior to the fire departmentís arrival, a working smoke alarm had alerted the owner there was smoke on the second floor.

 

He went across the street to a neighbour's house to have them call 9-1-1, but unfortunately re-entered the home to fight the fire.

 

As a result, he suffered burns to his lower arms and smoke inhalation injuries. BC Ambulance paramedics treated and transported the homeowner to Chilliwack General Hospital. There were no firefighter injuries.

 

Cause of the fire is related to a space heater located too close to combustibles.

 

The Chilliwack Fire Department would like to remind residents that as we move closer to winter, space heaters should be kept at least 1m or 3 feet away from all combustibles.

 

 

© Copyright (c) 2013 The Valley Voice