Tuesday, Oct 17, 2017 

 

Fire News

Candle Power

CFD urges caution when using improvised lighting especially with the holiday season around the corner
By Ian Josephson, Chief CFD

 

n October 14, 2017, at approximately 10pm the Chilliwack Fire Department responded to a structure fire in the 10000-block of McDonald Road.

 

On-arrival, Halls 1 and 4 reported heavy smoke showing from behind a single-storey residential home. Six residents had safely evacuated to the front yard.

 

Fire crews entered the structure and discovered fire in the rear bedroom.

 

The fire was quickly extinguished and crews worked to minimize the smoke and water damage.  The majority of the fire damage was limited to the bedroom contents with smoke damage to the remainder of the home.

 

There were no civilian or firefighter injuries.

 

The cause of the fire is considered accidental and is related to a candle burning too close to combustibles.

 

Chilliwack Fire Department wants to remind the public to be very careful when burning candles. Candles should be placed in a sturdy, non-combustible holder and kept a minimum of 0.3 m (1) away from all combustibles.

 

Working smoke alarms provide early warning of a fire that allows you to safely evacuate.

 

 


2008-2017 The Valley Voice News | All Rights Reserved