Wednesday, May 31, 2017 

 

Fire News

Alarmed is Armed

One person displaced after mattress fire

Mike Bourdon, Asst. Fire Chief/Voice file photos

 

Voice file photos

 

n May 30, 2017 at approximately 10:50pm the Chilliwack Fire Department was dispatched to a reported structure fire located in the 9400 block of Cook Street.

Firefighters responded from Halls 1 and 4 and on-arrival, discovered a mattress fire in a ground floor suite.  Firefighters initiated an offensive attack, quickly extinguished the fire and vented smoke from the building.

The suite suffered smoke and some water damage to the interior of the structure.

There were no civilian or firefighter injuries and all occupants were able to safely exit the building. 

The Chilliwack Emergency Social Services Team responded to the scene and provided temporary accommodation for one displaced occupant of the suite.

This fire appears to be accidental and is under investigation by Chilliwack Fire Department.

Chilliwack Fire Department wants to remind the public that working smoke alarms provide an early warning of a fire, giving people additional escape time. Test your smoke alarms at least once a month. Press the test button to be sure the alarm is working.

The Chilliwack Fire Department also wants to remind the public to ensure that: 1. Smoking materials are not left unattended and; 2. Ensure that all smoking materials are completed extinguished in a proper receptacle.


2008-2017 The Valley Voice News | All Rights Reserved