Home    Dec News    Horoscopes     Crime    Fishing Report    Links    About

 

 

  Friday, Jan 19, 2018 

Fire News

Smoking Smokes

CFD ask residents to take care when storing e-devices

By Andrew Brown, Asst. Chief

 

Fire crews extinguished fire before it took hold on a townhouse complex in the 5900-block of Vedder Road on Thursday.

 

n January 18, 2018, at approximately 8:30pm, the Chilliwack Fire Department was dispatched to a reported structure fire located in a townhouse complex in the 5900-block of Vedder Rd.

Three people were home at the time of the fire. One of the occupants noticed an electronic smoking device malfunction in a bag, and stated that the device was sparking and exploded which caught materials in the room on fire. The occupants took the appropriate actions by closing the door to the room of fire origin and calling 911, as they evacuated the building.

Firefighters responded from Halls 1, 4, and 6, and on-arrival, reported light smoke on the second floor of the two-storey townhouse.

Smoke alarms were activated in the home and occupants were out of the building when fire crews arrived.

Fire crews setup an aggressive offensive attack, entered the structure, and found light smoke on the second floor with heavy black smoke in the room of origin. Firefighters extinguished the fire and ventilated the structure.

The townhouse suffered minor fire and smoke damage to the interior of  the structure.

There were no civilian or firefighter injuries.

This fire appears to be accidental and caused by electronic smoking materials.

Chilliwack Fire Dept. wants to remind the public that working smoke alarms save lives, and to follow manufacturer recommendations when using and/or storing electronic devices.

 


2008-2017 The Valley Voice News | All Rights Reserved