Feature Story                                                                                           Thursday, January 23, 2014

 

Early Morning House Fire

Passerby wakes family after spotting flames

Staff/voice photos

 

An electrical problem was likely the cause off the Victoria Ave. blaze.

 

he man stood silently at the side of the road watching smoke billow from his home. Firemen rushed by him hooking hoses to hydrants.

 

His wife and two small children were previously whisked away to the safe confines of a neighbours home, leaving him to watch bewildered and numb as flames slowly crept out of a rooftop window.

 

At around 3 a.m. on Wednesday, fire broke out in the upstairs. A passerby noticed the flames and woke the family who were able to rush outside while calling 9-1-1.

 

The resident told the Voice that he wasn't sure what started the blaze.

 

Assistant Fire Chief Mike Bourdan said in a release on Wednesday, that when crews arrived they found smoke and flames between the roof edge of an attached porch on the front side of a single-storey family residence in the 45000 block of Victoria Ave.

 

"Firefighters quickly knocked down the fire on the exterior of the home above the porch roof and gained access to suppress the fire that had extended to the attic," said Bourden.

 

Fortunately, damage was limited to the underside of the porch roof system, the exterior siding and attic with no smoke damage inside the house.

 

There were no firefighter injuries and cause of the fire is considered to have been electrical in nature.

 

See more photos below.

 

 

Copyright (c) 2014 The Valley Voice