Sunday, January 12, 2014

Fire Dept News

Chimney Blaze

'Timely call', quick response saves residence

Released by City of Chilliwack Fire Chief Ian Josephson

 

Chilliwack firefighters were up on the ladder attending to a chimney fire on Banford Rd. Sunday morning.

 

t 8:42 a.m. Sunday, firefighters from fire halls 1, 2 and 4 responded to a structure fire in the 8600 block of Banford Road.

Upon arrival, fire crews found flames venting from a roof top metal fireplace flue with fire starting to extend into the attic area of the 2-storey single family residential house.

Firefighters entered the home and quickly gained access to the attic and suppressed the fire. Fire damage is limited to the exterior roof and attic with very minor smoke damage inside the house.

One tenant at home at the time of the fire observed an issue with the fireplace and placed the timely 9-1-1 call.

Emergency Social Services was contacted and will be assisting with emergency related accommodation for the lone tenant.

There were no firefighter injuries.

Cause of the fire is accidental and related to the fireplace.

Editor's note: A neighbour told the Voice that they thought there were two people subletting the residence. According to the Fire Chief's report above, only one was present at the time of the fire.

See more photos below.

Copyright (c) 2014 The Valley Voice