Home     Nov News      Horoscopes       Crime      Fishing Report      Letters  

 

 

 

  Monday, Dec 18, 2017 

Fire News
No ifs ands or Butts

Neighbours save the day

By Andy Brown, Asst. Fire Chief

 

 

n December 17, 2017 at approximately 10am, the Chilliwack Fire Department was dispatched to a reported structure fire located in single family residential structure in the 42000-block of Peters Road.

Neighbours saw flames and black smoke venting from the rear of the home and called the fire department.

 

Firefighters responded from Halls 1, 4, and 6, and on-arrival, reported seeing heavy fire and smoke venting from the rear of the home.

 

Occupants were not home at the time of the fire, and a neighbor called 911.

Fire crews setup an offensive attack and quickly brought the fire under control. The home suffered significant fire and smoke damage.


 

The Chilliwack Fire Department went from building to building talking about "plastic flowers" such as here in 2009 (above). They explain to residents that's when cigarettes are apparently stubbed out in planter pots but instead sit there smoldering until they break out in flames and travel up the vinyl siding.


There were no civilian or firefighter injuries. This fire appears to be accidental and caused by discarded smoking materials.

Chilliwack Fire Dept. wants to remind the public to ensure smoking materials are fully extinguished in an approved container.

 

 

 



2008-2017 The Valley Voice News | All Rights Reserved