Wednesday August 16, 2017

 

Fire News

Wet Wonders Work

Sprinklers effective in extinguishing small fire

By Chris Wilson, Assistant Chief

 

n August 17, 2017 at around 3:00pm the Chilliwack Fire Department was dispatched to a reported residential structure fire in the 5600 block of Sappers Way.

 

Firefighters responded from Halls 1 and 4, and upon arrival, discovered a stovetop fire in the kitchen of a townhouse unit.  The fire had been extinguished by the home’s automatic fire sprinkler system prior to the arrival of fire crews.

Early control and suppression of the fire by the sprinkler system significantly limited damage to a small area around the stove and kitchen cabinets.  There was some minor smoke damage in the adjacent townhouse.

Without a working sprinkler system in place, this fire had the potential to cause extensive fire, smoke and water damage to the home and adjacent units in the townhouse complex.

There were no civilian or firefighter injuries. Early fire suppression by the sprinkler system greatly reduces or eliminates the life safety hazards and risk to both residents and firefighters.

Fire cause is accidental and the Chilliwack Fire Department reminds residents to ensure they are aware of the cooking hazards and not be distracted or leave the kitchen when they are cooking.

The Chilliwack Fire Department strongly promotes the installation of an automatic fire sprinkler system in homes. The presence of an automatic fire sprinkler system in conjunction with a working smoke alarm greatly reduces the risk of being injured or dying in a fire.

 


© 2008-2017 The Valley Voice News | All Rights Reserved