Tuesday, April 18, 2017 

 

Fire News

Watch Your Butts

Firefighters quick to get handle on blaze caused by smoking

Andrew Brown, Assistant Chief, Training, CFD/Voice file photo

 

Voice file photo April 2015

 

n April 18, 2017, at approximately 10am the Chilliwack Fire Department was dispatched to a reported structure fire located in an apartment complex in the 9100-block of Charles St.

A neighbour saw black smoke venting from the apartment and called the fire department.

Firefighters responded from Halls 1, 4, and 6, and on-arrival, reported seeing light smoke venting from the 2nd floor apartment. Occupants were home at the time of the fire, and had initiated controlling the fire. Fire crews setup an offensive attack and quickly brought the fire under control.

The apartment suffered minor fire and smoke damage to the interior of the structure.

There were no civilian or firefighter injuries.

This fire appears to be accidental and caused by discarded smoking materials.

Chilliwack Fire Dept. wants to remind the public to ensure smoking materials are fully extinguished in an approved container.


2008-2017 The Valley Voice News | All Rights Reserved